Don't be a special ed. teacher for the gratitude
So today I get a letter in my mailbox asking for volunteers for mentors. So I figure, this is a good way to be involved. I'll be a mentor. So I ask the guidance counselor, and she says, "No, the students will come ask you." Well, I am a new teacher. Who the heck is going to ask me? What about 6th graders who don't know anyone? Sigh. So much for volunteering.
So I get a different memo for all math teachers. Each person has their name and what time they should be somewhere. It lists all the math teachers except me. Then at the bottom it says, "All resource room teachers." Gee thanks. And the time I am supposed to go is the time I don't even have students. So they modify the memo and take out the resource room thing altogether. So now I don't have ANY time. So basically, I am just an oversight and an afterthought. It is just so frustrating! And kids and parents are always saying they want to get OUT of your class. It is always the place people want to get away from. I know you aren't supposed to take it personally, but it takes a toll.
On top of that, Heather is a new RR teacher, just like me. I can't tell if she is a really great teacher and I should be jealous or a really huge wacko and I should try to save her. It is her first year teaching. Yesterday, she ate a live worm for her class. I thought this was annoying because I despise attention whores on any level. But hey, she got their attention. So today, one of the teachers in our section basically told her not to do anything else that was "stupid" b/c she was fielding calls about "the incident" from other units all night. So apparrently they different units are battling against each other and it is the freakin Jets vs. the Sharks here or something. That left a really bad taste in my mouth.
Even though things are getting better, I am still always wondering if I made the right decision. The grass is always greener right?
Administration: Barnegat wins in a landslide
Schedule: Brick. I am so bummed I would have had the last 2 off this year.
Friends: While I only had a few in Brick, I have even fewer in Barnegat. Edge to Brick.
$: Brick. I would be making more this year.
Travel: Def. Barnegat
Unit Time: Brick. B-A-G-E-L-S. Enough said.
Culture: I am sad to say it but I miss the strict regimen of Brick.
Experience: I would be one year closer to tenure if I had stayed. Brick.
I guess it is just really hard to try to work on a reputation in this atmosphere.
I suppose it is currently at Barnegat 2, Brick 6
Yikes.
That's depressing. I'd better try to see things in a different light to even the score.
Well, Kathy Campbell is def. a -1 for Brick. And the fact that I don't have to go to any PTA meetings or band concerts is another bonus for Barnegat.
So I will leave with the score Barnegat 4, Brick 5.
Better, but I am still working on it.
So I get a different memo for all math teachers. Each person has their name and what time they should be somewhere. It lists all the math teachers except me. Then at the bottom it says, "All resource room teachers." Gee thanks. And the time I am supposed to go is the time I don't even have students. So they modify the memo and take out the resource room thing altogether. So now I don't have ANY time. So basically, I am just an oversight and an afterthought. It is just so frustrating! And kids and parents are always saying they want to get OUT of your class. It is always the place people want to get away from. I know you aren't supposed to take it personally, but it takes a toll.
On top of that, Heather is a new RR teacher, just like me. I can't tell if she is a really great teacher and I should be jealous or a really huge wacko and I should try to save her. It is her first year teaching. Yesterday, she ate a live worm for her class. I thought this was annoying because I despise attention whores on any level. But hey, she got their attention. So today, one of the teachers in our section basically told her not to do anything else that was "stupid" b/c she was fielding calls about "the incident" from other units all night. So apparrently they different units are battling against each other and it is the freakin Jets vs. the Sharks here or something. That left a really bad taste in my mouth.
Even though things are getting better, I am still always wondering if I made the right decision. The grass is always greener right?
Administration: Barnegat wins in a landslide
Schedule: Brick. I am so bummed I would have had the last 2 off this year.
Friends: While I only had a few in Brick, I have even fewer in Barnegat. Edge to Brick.
$: Brick. I would be making more this year.
Travel: Def. Barnegat
Unit Time: Brick. B-A-G-E-L-S. Enough said.
Culture: I am sad to say it but I miss the strict regimen of Brick.
Experience: I would be one year closer to tenure if I had stayed. Brick.
I guess it is just really hard to try to work on a reputation in this atmosphere.
I suppose it is currently at Barnegat 2, Brick 6
Yikes.
That's depressing. I'd better try to see things in a different light to even the score.
Well, Kathy Campbell is def. a -1 for Brick. And the fact that I don't have to go to any PTA meetings or band concerts is another bonus for Barnegat.
So I will leave with the score Barnegat 4, Brick 5.
Better, but I am still working on it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home